The next Union Vale Town Board Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, May 21 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held via Zoom. If you would like to attend the meeting on Zoom you must submit a request via email to the town clerk by 5:15 on Wednesday, May 20. firstname.lastname@example.org
It is expected that the future of library services in Union Vale will be discussed and a resident of Union Vale will address the board with a plan to raise money to form a town library. In the meantime, $15,000- $20,000 will be spent on library services, such as streaming contracts. The remainder of the $80,000 originally targeted to contract with Mid Hudson Library Services will be used to offset revenue lost due to the pandemic. Town of Union Vale residents are expected to have restricted services at local libraries.
There are many unanswered questions which should be a concern to all, such as:
- What happens to library services in the interim while money is being raised and a library is being formed?
- Where will the money come from for staff salaries and continued library updates? How much will this cost?
- Will there be library programs available? Will they be free?
- Will this library be part of MHLS?
- How difficult will it be to raise money in this time of uncertainty and many of us are targeting contributions in other ways?
If this matter is of interest to you, please consider attending the meeting via Zoom. If this is not possible, please reach out to town board members and let them know your concerns and/or questions.