Platform of the Union Vale Democratic Committee
The Union Vale Democratic Committee is a local division of the Dutchess County Democratic Party, as well as the NY State and National Democratic Party. We espouse the values of strength at home and respect in the world community. A free society requires an informed electorate living in a healthy, stable community governed by freely elected, accessible, and accountable public leaders. To that end, the Union Vale Democratic Committee values policies that support social justice, accountability, accessibility, a healthy environment, and a sound economy in our town.
ACCOUNTABLE, ACCESSIBLE LEADERSHIP
- Ensure transparency and honesty in everything that we do.
- Actively engage with residents to develop and publish meaningful goals, strategies and business plans that make sense and meet resident needs.
- Create, publish and maintain a 5-year strategic plan for the entire town.
- Put residents first, including holding periodic open forums for residents and the town to exchange ideas and develop plans.
- Publish agendas well prior to town meetings and provide residents with sufficient ability to comment.
- Continually improve recreation services and our town parks.
- Ensure that Union Vale is an attractive place to live and work.
- Work cooperatively with neighboring towns, county and state government.
- Restore full library services.
- Adhere to legal/regulatory requirements.
- Monitor and address clean water and other environmental issues.
- Encourage residents, businesses and the town government to transition to alternative green energy sources by providing education and access to resources when possible
- Support the continued work of the Conservation Advisory Commission to research and protect the natural resources of the town.
- Commit to environmental and public health/safety.
- Preserve the history and rural nature of our town.
- Promote residential participation in preserving and improving our town’ s natural environment.
- Provide taxpayers with detailed, online, easily accessible budgets, including standard expense codes.
- Assure fair taxation with a full explanation of the process of annual adjustments of as- sessed values on property.
- Publish results of all audits online.
- Practice fiscal responsibility, including effective use of any surplus funds to meet resident needs.
- Promote awareness of issues that affect equality.
- Make Union Vale a welcoming community for all residents.
- Imbed social justice in all town board decisions.
- Promote and welcome diversity.
*updated March 2021